Senior Year College Checklist
Before you Apply
September - October
- Shop for colleges and universities. Pay attention to ACT & SAT requirements for admission. Reference a college comparison chart and college quick facts to help you choose.
- Narrow your choices. Pick three to five colleges of interest including your "dream" college, a "safety" college, and a couple in between.
- Visit any college campuses that you can. Perhaps you can carpool with other interested students.
- Students can begin completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on October 1st each year. The priority deadline is March 1st! Access the FAFSA website here and be sure to gather the right materials when filling it out:
1. A copy of your parents' income tax return
2. You AND your parents' full social security numbers and dates of birth.
November - December
- Attend pre-college workshops at the KCC College Fair in Kellogg Arena.
- Apply to your colleges before December 1st!!!!
January - February
- Begin your Battle Creek Community Foundation General Scholarship Application online at this website. You will need:
- An electronic copy of your transcript (contact your high school counselor)
- An electronic copy of your FAFSA Student Aid Report (available a few days AFTER you submit your FAFSA)
- An electronic photo (if awarded a scholarship, we will need a professional photo - senior/school preferred)
- Polish and complete your college scholarship essays including your BCCF Scholarship.
- Complete, SAVE and submit your Battle Creek Community Foundation Scholarship Application.
The BCCF application portal for the 2019-2020 academic year will be November 1, 2019 to March 1, 2020!
After you Apply
April - May
- Look for College Award Letters (these official financial aid offers become available approximately 4-6 weeks after you submit your FAFSA).
June - July
- Look for your BCCF Scholarship Award Letter in the mail.
- Sign your Terms and Conditions for BCCF scholarships and return it to BCCF by the date listed.
Note: Check to see if you are eligible for the TIP (Tuition Incentive Program)